I have become so beyond obsessed with grilled cheese lately and this sandwich has quickly become one of my faves. I like to switch it up and make it even more decedent by coating my bread with parmesan and creating a delicious crust on the outside.
You. Will. Be Addicted.
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter softened, plus more for buttering bread
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 6 slices Swiss cheese sliced very thin
- grated parmesan cheese
- canned french onion soup for dipping
Add butter and oil to a medium skillet.
Add onions and cook over low-medium heat for 30 minutes. Try not to stir the onions too much. The onions should be a dark brown color.
Butter each slice of bread.
Coat each outside of the bread with a dusting of parm. Place buttered side down on a large skillet or griddle.
Add 3 extra thin slices of cheese on each side. (6 slices on each sandwich total).
Place onions on one side of bread. When the cheese has melted put sandwiches together and take out of the pan.
- Cut in half and serve immediately with a side of french onion soup for dipping.
xoxx -Mel 💋